Hotels and Resorts
About Rovos Rail
Step aboard the Pride of Africa
Since its establishment in 1989, Rovos Rail has earned an international reputation for its truly world class travel experiences. Step aboard the wood panelled coaches - classics remodelled and refurbished to mint condition - and enjoy fine cuisine in five-star luxury as some of the most varied scenery imaginable unfolds beyond the windows. Recapture the romance and atmosphere of a bygone era, when privileged travellers experienced the magic and mystery of Africa in a relaxed and elegant fashion. The trains - which may be hauled by steam, diesel or electric locomotives at various stages of the journey - carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites. Pride of place in the Rovos stable goes to the historic and newly rebuilt Capital Park Station and locomotive yard, which is the heart and new headquarters of this private railway company.
The power and Glory of Rovos Rail
Five superbly reconditioned locomotives are the soul of Rovos Rail and a sight to gladden the heart of any rail enthusiast. Each has a story behind its acquisition and restoration. Each has a distinctive character and charm and they are all named after owners Rohan and Anthea Vos’s children. The oldest and smallest engine in the stable is 439 TIFFANY – one of 40 Class 6 Locomotives manufactured by Dubs & Co in 1893. Rohan and Anthea Vos first saw this petite loco on the platform of Winburg Station in the Eastern Freestate and it was love at first sight. The loco was purchased in 1987 and Dunns Locomotive in Witbank was commissioned to return the Class 6 to running condition. She is named after their youngest daughter. 2701 BRENDA, 2702 BIANCA and 3360 SHAUN are named after Rohan and Anthea's other three children. They are Class 19D Locomotives which were all built during the 1930’s. All three locomotives were saved from scrap metal dealers and, after extensive restoration by Dunns Locomotive and the Rovos staff, were put back into service in 1989. 3484 MARJORIE is named after Rohan’s mother. Built in 1954 by the North British in Glasgow, she is a Class 25NC Locomotive that has been converted from a coal burner to an oil-fired engine. She can cover a distance of 700 kms without needing to stop for oil or water whereas the steam locomotives have to stop after 100 kms for water and 300 kms for coal. 3442 ANTHEA is named after Rohan's wife and is also a Class 25NC, built in 1953 by Henschel of Germany. She has been restored in original coal burning condition.